Monday, April 28, 2008

One can't have too many tomatoes...

Fatal mistake: DO NOT GO TO GARDEN CENTRE WHEN THERE ARE TOMATO PLANTS FOR SALE.

Although I have ended up with tomato seedlings given to me, I have acquired yet more. Come summer I will be awash in tomatoes. Garden Fever has such an amazing variety that I just couldn't resist. Tomatoes for canning, slicing, or just plain looking at. Lots of heirlooms, black, green, purple, striped, pink with orange spots (I'm only partly making this up). The winners for me were: Velvet Red, Striped German, Black Prince and Costoluto Genovese. They are worth buying for the names alone never mind the plants: Velvet Red has fuzzy foliage, Striped German has golden fruit with pink marbling, Costoluto has fluted tomatoes and Black Prince is - guess! - a black tomato. I am very pleased.


Still a bit too early to plant them out without the risk of a late frost but they'll keep the other, still tiny tomatoes company for a couple of weeks.


More news on the garden front: there is no sign of the damn carrots. Nada, zilch. Ditto the arugula Sylvetta. The broccoli and other arugula that I sowed at the same time are coming up. Maybe I was too hasty and too fooled by the nice weather. Will try carrot again but this time it'll be Danvers Half Long from Ed Hume. Should still have some more of the other arugula to do another row. I'll try and get out there over the next few days to see if something has happened but it looks like the first failure of the gardening year.

No comments:

Post a Comment