Saturday, April 5, 2008

My new friend is a rake

The garden fork has been my constant companion since I started this garden. I have now dug over the entire plot 3 times. Not sure whether a spade would have been a better tool (there are none in the tool shed). I prefer the fork to the "claw" - it doesn't feel comfortable enough and turning over weeds on a large scale is impossible.

Today, I went back (in the rain!) to fork in the semi-composted manure I spread on it last week. As I went along I removed all grasses and sprouts in the soil that managed to keep on growing after being buried for at least 2 weeks. I certainly don't want those to get going when the weather gets a bit warmer...

The soil now actually feels and looks nice. Crumbly enough to use a rake to form one small bed (not worth it yet for the rest). Raking a new bed is very enjoyable, it feels like precision surgery after all that digging.


I had some strawberry plants in pots and seed packets at the ready to make use of the new bed. I sowed two short rows of rocket: Bog-standard rocket and Sylvetta Wild (both from the Territorial Seed Company). The strawberry plants were a "parent" plant I got from Livinsgscape Nursery last year (a free gift after buying something else) and 4 plants from its runners. Hopefully we do not get a late frost but keeping them in pots any longer didn't seem like a good idea (I keep forgetting to water them as they sit on the porch). The variety is Hood:

Hood is a pacific northwestern variety characterized by fruit borne well above the soil on strong, upright clusters. The berry is large, round and conic. The skin is glossy bright medium red. The berries are firm with a pleasant flavor. The fruit ripens midseason. Nice for preserves and jams. - Lassen Canyon strawberry growers
The first plants and seeds are in. Woohoo! The season has started.


No comments:

Post a Comment