Sunday, April 20, 2008

Garden Clear-up

Remember how I said that spring has sprung? Well, not so much this week... Yesterday there was an Earth Day event at Overlook Park to which I cycled through hail. Good outcomes though: ended up with more free seeds (corn, borage, sunflowers) and other free swag (little thermos!).

Which brings me on to my first update on seeds. As I reported a couple of weeks ago, I saved some seeds from a store-bought squash to see if it would be usable. It is!


Now I have to figure out what to do them until it is time to plant them in the garden...

Today was the community garden clear-up (early 9am start - ugh - but new thermos came in handy). Usual suspects turned up to do some work and we managed to clear a path of weeds before turning to our own projects. Another clear-up is scheduled for beginning of May, with more volunteers (hopefully). Apparently all plots have been allocated and there is now a waiting list. Two more people turned up when I was leaving, they were the garden's Produce for People coordinators and have commandeered the raised beds - usually reserved for disabled people but not claimed this year - for growing stuff for the program. They used to be at Reed (famed and fabled for being nice and huge and then being closed to make way for student dorms) and seem very organised.


Before leaving I was checking over my plot briefly. Removed a few weeds but now it's easy if I can keep on top of them. Strawberries are still liking it. Arugula Roquette has germinated - yay!


There is no clear sign of the other variety of arugula yet but I'm hoping there will be soon. I think the broccoli was starting to peek through too. Sowed some chives and another row of broccoli.

Came home, had some breakfast/brunch, and then nerdishly made a list of seeds and a planting calendar. Now I'm feeling sleepy and I need a nap...

1 comment:

The Viva Voce Virus said...

I see green! Cool.

Post a Comment