Saturday, April 12, 2008

Spring has sprung

Today was 74 degrees Fahrenheit (about 24 in Celcius) after nearly week of cold dampness. It just suddenly feels like the planting and growing season is upon us. Amazing what a difference a couple of sunny days can make.

Last week I put in strawberry plants and arugula seeds. No sign yet of the arugula but the strawberry plants seem to enjoy it and are sprouting new growth.


(If you look very carefully, there is a ladybug on one of the leaves...)

When I arrived there were more gardeners I hadn't met before, along with more evidence of work going on in the rest of the garden. Next weekend is a big garden clear-up so I expect to see most of them there.

My task for today was putting in a few beds so I can start sowing carrots (Nelson Hybrid) and broccoli (Zamboni sprouting). Since my sowing times and bed creation are all mixed up, I had to change the drawn plan I carried along, noting what I had sowed where and when. I am going to try and remember to sow little and often. Today I sowed two short rows of carrots and 1 short row of broccoli. Next week I'll sow more of the broccoli.

I also put up some poles that will serve for growing beans (still need to get string and really make sure they are solidly in the ground). It's starting to look respectable (the gardener I met commented that I was "approaching it very methodically").



Oh, and there was a first harvest of sorts: I finished off the day by collecting dandelion leaves for the guinea pigs from areas that haven't cleared of weeds yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment