Sunday, June 1, 2008

Second harvest and more prep

What a difference a couple of weeks can make.

There are now about 10 tomato plants in my plot plus 4 more in my backyard. What was left over from what I couldn't fit into my backyard went in yesterday (I see a tomato glut in my future...).

Toxicfingers gave me a contraption for my birthday that seems to be very popular here in the Northwest: the "wall-o-water". It's a ring of ribs that are filled with water and form a teepee around the plant. The water is supposed to heat up during the day and then radiate warmth back during the night. I used it to protect my most feeblest tomato plant, the Gold Nugget Cherry. (Note that the other tomato plants are looking fine and are indeed already flowering)



Everything is doing grand. Second harvest of the year has been some sprouting broccoli and arugula. Both are already starting to flower and I hope they are not too bitter for eating. I need to remember to reseed some more to keep them going over the summer.



The strawberries should also be ready soon (the handful that I will get out of it). So far no sign of slug nibbles; coffee grounds may actually work to keep them away.



The collards and potatoes are sprouting, too. Very exciting!



Started my first set of pole bean sowing, a mixture of Kentuck Wonder and some "Tuscan" beans I got on Earth Day at a community garden stall. I think soon the garden will really start to fill out.



No comments:

Post a Comment