Sunday, June 8, 2008

More planting

Today was nicer weather after a week of rain, rain, rain. The temperature had also dropped to nearly 50 degrees on Friday. It didn't seem to do the plants much harm, in fact, the sprouting broccoli seems to like it a bit wetter and cooler. Been harvesting it (delicious with garlic and olive oil with pasta or in a stir fry!). Also, the four strawberries I got so far were the sweetest I have ever had. The arugula is also very popular. I had almost forgotten how good home-grown food tastes.

I picked up an English cucumber plant at Garden Fever but since today was such a sunny day and I didn't have to lug around a lot of stuff I decided to cycle to the plot. It's a actually a fairly straightforward ride that can be done quite easily in 30 minutes.

Nobody at the garden which was a bit surprising - I would have assumed that the place would be hopping. I planted the cucumber underneath the bean poles to try if I can trellis it. Re-sowed some more collards and sprouting broccoli. As the soil is warming up I thought I'd try sowing the corn and also the summer squashes. If it doesn't work out I have more seeds. Let's hope it stays warm but moist for the next week, as I won't be able to water it for nearly a week.

I'm pleased with the growth so far (except the dang carrots...). I am also trying a few more ways of animal husbandry through selective planting. The marigolds I planted mid-week are very cheerful (got a whole crate cheaply) and they should keep aphids away. I also planted borage near the summer squash to attract more pollinating insects. And the coffee grounds definitely seem to work - none of the strawberries has been nibbled by slugs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment