Sunday, March 14, 2010

First sowing of the year

Last year's toilet roll method was more or less a disaster - nothing really germinated. This year I am giving little peat pods a go - the kits are cheap, compact and easy to water.


In my opinion, it's a bit on the early side to sow tomatoes, courgettes and cucumber since they can't really be planted out until mid-May. However, I am getting a mini-greenhouse so can move them there once they get going. I kept this attempt small so I can do another run in April or plant out directly in the soil in May. I sowed: tomatoes "Tigerella", tomatoes "Red Pear", cucumber "Crystal Lemon", tomatoes "Super Marmande", squash "Turk's Turban" and patty pan squash "Scallop Mixed" - two pods each. The pods are a bit small for the squash seeds but I'll see how it goes.


Here they are in the warmest and sunniest part of the house, the seat in the bay window. Also the most dangerous for them in terms of getting knocked over.

No comments:

Post a Comment