Saturday, March 13, 2010

First planting of the year

Inspired by one of my friends I planted my chitted potatoes in a big planter today. I was going to wait a little bit longer. If it all goes wrong at least I can blame her ;)

I didn't use that much compost; the intention is to fill up the pot with soil as they grow to encourage more potatoes to form. The planter is fairly large and the potato variety (Anya) is fairly small, so hopefully it'll work out. I have seen pictures of potatoes being grown in black bin liners but I fancied something more, er, decorative. Last year, the potatoes in planters started off well but then were like sitting ducks for slugs which stripped the leaves off (the ones in the ground held out a bit longer but not much). Let's see if they make it this year - at least I didn't spend a small fortune on seed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment