Sunday, May 3, 2009

snails and other pests

Something is nibbling my mange tout, so I've been outside late at night with a torch and yes, it is snails. Two little seedlings have already had their tops nipped off. I hope the other ones outgrow their enemies quickly.

The pear tree is getting hammered this year. It seems there are more greenflies around than usual, which descended mostly on the growing tips. Instead of using any chemicals I decided to just remove them mechanically to give the buds a chance to open. Some of the unfurled leaves have already holes in them from a tiny green caterpillar. Again, mechanical removal may have done the trick.

I'm away from the garden for two weeks and entrusted care of both outside beds and inside starts to toxicfingers, after leaving detailed instructions. I'm sure everything will be ok, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment