Saturday, October 4, 2008

crazy harvest stuff

Managed to nip to the garden in the break between downpours (of course, the weather now is turning nice as it rained itself out). After a week of not going to the garden I expected the worst. And in a way, it came to pass - the cucumbers have followed the beans in snapping the twine. Next year I will consider wire instead. The corn is also leaning, probably because it has been very windy over the last couple of days. Otherwise, the garden is looking surprisingly good after being neglected.




The winter squash are putting their tendrils up the fence - I didn't even know that they are climbers. I keep moving them to the ground but they keep insisting. I guess they win. Continuing to harvest the little carrots, more to come. The guinea pigs love them which means that the humans usually lose out. I also dug up the last batch of potatoes and they are amazing. I mean, what could be better? Come on - Potatoes! Funny shapes! Starch!




This week's harvest was the best yet, so much variety, a little bit of everything and not overwhelming like some summer harvests. Hopefully the weather holds a little bit longer. I will be sad when it all stops.



I bartered some produce for eggs, salsa and hot peppers last week which has rekindled my interest in keeping chickens again. When we didn't know what to do during the zucchini glut we simply had an adapted Greek dish with grated zucchini, eggs and dill (left out the usual flour since Toxicfingers is gluten intolerant). Eggs are so versatile and nutritious. (Hey, Twinkle, if you are reading this - any advice?) Hmmm...next year maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Advice about keeping chickens or advice on egg applications?
If the first: I recommend two or three hens and the chicken tractor method. Small movable coop and enclosure (like the eggloo) Araucana's are awesome and lay multicolored eggs. Bantam's are super adorable, little living lawn ornaments that produce "diet" eggs. (small). Also, chickens with feathery feet only look nice in the summer, the rest of the year is so wet it just get gross. Between your guinea pigs and chicken you'd never have throw away left over food again.

Green Butterfingers said...

excellent! I am seriously thinking about it, have been for years, and I may actually do it next year.

Post a Comment